8th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SUSTAINABILITY SCIENCE (ICSS 2020)
BIODIVERSITY AS A SOURCE OF SOLUTIONS TO SUSTAINABILITY CHALLENGES IN URBAN, PERI-URBAN AND RURAL AREAS
ABOUT ICSS 2020
The contribution of biodiversity to human societies has been recognized amidst the current massive biodiversity degradation and loss across the globe. However, the role biodiversity-based innovations and solutions has sometimes been overlooked in the sustainability debates. Innovative biodiversity-based practices may enable transformative societal change and address pressing sustainability challenges. Such innovations can provide the basis of various nature-based solutions, have significant insurance value, and reduce the substantial risks from climate and environmental change. Such solutions can play a major role in reconnecting urban, peri-urban and rural areas, and involve various stakeholders, business, investors, and civil society. Such solutions would be instrumental in achieving the SDGs and a world in harmony with nature.
The 8th International Conference on Sustainability Science (ICSS2020) will facilitate creative discussions between academics, policy-makers and practitioners on how biodiversity-based solutions can contribute to sustainable development. As such the outcomes of the conference are expected to feed into the current international discourse of the post-2020 agenda on biodiversity.
ICSS2020 will be held in Kunming, China. ICSS2020 will be organized by the Institute for Future Initiatives (IFI) of The University of Tokyo and Future Earth, and will be hosted by Kunming Institute of Botany. The conference will precede the CBD-COP15 as a means of catalyzing closer transdisciplinary discussion in the context of CBD-COP15
- Biodiversity and sustainable solutions in food, water and energy
- Biodiversity and solutions for health challenges
- Biodiversity and solutions for sustainable urban futures
- Biodiversity and sustainable solutions in technology and industry
- Youth session
- Dialog with policymakers
The 10 selected SDG Labs
- Biodiversity in Action: accelerating data digitization for innovative cropping systemArmine Abrahamyan, Dr.biol.sci, Armenian National Agrarian University, International Research Program Unit
- Brazilian Ocean Horizons: A Network-Based Sustainability Transition Experiment for the Brazilian Blue EconomyLeopoldo Cavaleri Gerhardinger, Brazilian Future Ocean Panel (PainelMar)
- Climate Change in Eastern Himalayas: Traditional Knowledge relating to the Biodiversity to Support Community-Based Adaption PlanYIN LUN, Center for Biodiversity and Indigenous Knowledge (CBIK)
- Forestry-tea Ecosystem Services and Influence on Local Livelihood: the Case of Tea Forests in Yunnan, ChinaLi Faying (Jason Lee), Southwest Forestry University (SWFU)
- Indigenous biodiversity-based climate risk insurance in Asian mountain regionsDenise Margaret Matias, Institute for Social-Ecological Research in Frankfurt Main: ISOE
- In vitro propagation of Eurycoma longifolia and the evaluation of bioactive compound of its callus cultureTutun Nugraha, Ph.D, International University Liaison Indonesia (Photo: Cerlin Ng)
- Promoting traditional agroforestry farming system for sustainable watershed forest management in the north-eastern region of ThailandDr. Jintana Kawasaki, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Japan
- Conserving biodiversity of homestead windbreaks and home garden for food security and rural developmentBixia Chen, University of the Ryukyus, Japan
- Immersive ecotourism in Tampolo Protected Area towards sustainable developmentR. Ntsiva N. Andriatsitohaina, Researcher, Madagascar Forest Company Corporation Association in collaboration with Mention Foresterie et Environnement of High School of Agricultural Sciences
- Research to establish the role Karimojong Nomadic Indigenous Pastoralist play in the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversityIsmael Ocen, Ocean One Social Research Centre, Teso, Uganda
The conference venue will be announced soon.