It is no exaggeration to say that the quest for sustainable development is the biggest problem faced by the modern world. Economic development without considering the environment has led to various hazards such as global warming; moreover, despite growth in the world economy, economic disparities have increased, and extreme poverty, threatening survival itself, is now even more widespread in many developing countries. The United Nations has advocated sustainable development goals (SDGs), with the objective of promoting a response to this harsh situation.
The University of Tokyo has already strongly advocated research on SDGs via the Future Society Initiative. The aim of the SDGs Collaborative Research Unit, of the Institute for Future Initiative (IFI), proposed here would be to become a hub and to focus research on SDGs at the University of Tokyo.
Examples of activities conducted would include: (1) research on alternatives to achieve sustainability in the global environment; (2) clarification of the impact of the environmental change on social or political instability, in collaboration with the Security Studies Unit; and (3) research related to the possibility of economic development linked to sustainability, in collaboration with the Risks in the Global Economy: Analysis and Policy Research Unit, which are scheduled to be the principal topics. It is hoped that research on SDGs will be performed in collaboration with other research areas of this institute, the research organizations of the University of Tokyo, and with Japanese and overseas research organizations.
The nexus of international politics in climate change and water resource, from the perspective of security studies and SDGs
- Kiichi FujiwaraDirector of the Institute for Future Initiatives
- Yee Kuang HengProfessor, Graduate School of Public Policy
- Aiko NishikidaAssociate Professor, Dr. Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
- Chiharu TakenakaProfessor, College of Law and Politics, Department of Politics, Rikkyo University
- Takeshi WadaProfessor, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences
- Taikan OkiProfessor, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Kensuke FukushiVice Director, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Yuya KajikawaProfessor, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Yukari TakamuraProfessor, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Alexandros GasparatosAssociate Professor, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Yasunori KikuchiAssociate Professor, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Kazuyo HanaiAssistant Professor, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Hiroko YamanoAssistant Professor, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Nazia HussainProject Assistant Professor, Institute for Future Initiatives