The Security Studies Unit (SSU) of Institute for Future Initiatives (IFI) was established in the awareness of a pressing number of issues concerning the future of security in the East Asian region and its institutionalization, the reciprocal relations between security and economic interdependence, the rise of new conceptualizations of security and the examination of the related political processes.
SSU produces academic research and policy proposals on these topics, by means of international joint research activities with other academic institutions, for the advancement of mutual understanding between international actors, and for the dissemination in the general public of information and ideas about international political issues both inside and outside of Japan, with the support of several foundations in Japan and the U.S.
SSU has performed numerous activities, including hosting international joint research and international conferences, focusing in particular on relation between economy and security, the security structure of North-East Asia, the deepening the Japan-US alliance, the search for a way to enhance multilateral security cooperation, the strengthening of nuclear non-proliferation, and the formulation of a new concept of security.
US-China Competition and Securitization of Critical and Emerging Technologies: Evaluating Policy-making Process and Impacts on Globalized Economy
Five University Network
Japan Korea Dialogue
- Kiichi Fujiwara, “Hiroshima, Nanjing, and Yasukuni: Contending Discourses on the Second World War in Japan,” in Michael D. Gordin and G. John Ikenberry, eds.,The Age of Hiroshima,Princeton University Press,2020, pp431(pp201-218).
- Chiyuki Aoi and Yee-Kuang Heng, “Regional Communicative Dynamics and International Relations in the Asia-Pacific”, Asian Perspective, Volume 45, Number 3, Summer 2021
- Yee Kuang HENG, “UK-Japan military exercises and mutual strategic reassurance”, Defence Studies, Vol. 21 Issue 3, 2021
- Yee Kuang Heng, “Enabling NATO’s engagement with partners in the Asia-Pacific”, in NATO and the Asia-Pacific, NATO Association of Canada, December 2020
- Yee Kuang Heng, “Britain returns East of Suez, via Japan?”, The Straits Times, 2 February 2021
- Yee Kuang Heng, “The sustainability turn in UAE-Japan relations”, Contemporary Arab Affairs, Vol 13 No. 4, Dec 2020, 89-109
- Yee Kuang Heng, “Enhancing Europe’s global power in Asia 2030”, Global Policy, Vol. 11 Issue 1, February 2020, pp.159-163
Report and Column
Working Papers Series No.4″ “Can “China Model” Compete?: Evolving State Capitalism and Military-Civil Fusion Strategy”
SSU Forum/GraSPP Research Seminar “US Withdrawal from Afghanistan: Implications and Lessons Learned”
SSU Forum/GraSPP Research Seminar“ Indo-Pacific Strategy: The Netherlands Indo-Pacific Guidelines and the European Union Context”
- Kiichi FujiwaraProfessor, Graduate Schools of Law and Politics
- Keisuke IidaProfessor, Graduate Schools for Law and Politics
- Hideaki ShiroyamaDirector, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Akio TakaharaProfessor, Graduate Schools for Law and Politics
- Chiyuki AoiProfessor, Graduate School of Public Policy
- Yee Kuang HengProfessor, Graduate School of Public Policy
- Ryo SahashiAssociate Professor, International Relations Institute for Advanced Studies on Asia
- Kazuyo HanaiAssistant Professor, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Robert OrsiProject Associate Professor, Graduate School of Public Policy
- Nazia HussainProject Assistant Professor, Institute for Future Initiatives
- Masayasu TsuzukiProject Researcher
- Paul NADEAUProject Researcher